Monday, October 26, 2009

the other side of bus riding

This morning I did my usual morning routine, including yoga and running and then I hopped on the trusty #5 bus to take me to the Westgate shopping center. I normally love riding the bus in rainy weather because I can get where I'm going, do some reading or knitting, and as a bonus I don't have to actually drive while everyone around me has suddenly forgotten how to drive. I can listen to music and think about what I'm going to teach when I get where I'm going... but today it was just not happening. No, not at all.

the first thing I noticed on the bus was a smell, one that reminded me of the three years I spent working in a retirement center. It smelled like pee. And it was all over the floor and a pair of seats, and it was potent. I covered my nose and headed to the furthest corner away from it, only to find a leak in the roof of the bus right over the seat I had taken. So, I moved, and I listened to music, and I tried to read something (thanks John Updike, for intellectualizing a blowjob so much that it actually made me feel queasy and dirty). I did get where I was going, and I didn' t have to drive there, so I guess it's good, but I was pretty cranky when I got there.

Silver lining: the yoga center I teach at is right next to Central Market, so I had lunch and bought a pumpkin cream cheese pie to take home. oh yes, it's amazing.

1 comment:

Gurl Liz said...

I love the bus too but hate the urine smell..

I am excited to read your blog! Thanks for posting the link to fb.

I have a blog here too but rarely write...

I want pumkin cheesecake! They better still have some when I get there!!!